Check out this tutorial for two different methods using which one can increase RAM on an Android mobile. These two methods uses SWAP functionality of an Android OS, and external memory card to increase RAM on an Android mobile. One of the method uses a paid application, and the other uses a free application. Both the applications are available on Play Store for download.
When the performance of an Android mobile starts degrading even after applying multiple tweaks and modifications, then we should understand that its the insufficient RAM that’s causing the issues.
Low RAM issues
When an Android mobile is in idle state, or when it performs multitasks, or when an application runs, it stores all the opened files and data currently being used temporarily in RAM for quick access. Devices with large RAM has capacity to store more data, while devices with low RAM has capacity to store less data.
Thus, Android mobiles having low RAM can read/write/hold only a limited number of files and data simultaneously. Resulting in poor performance, lags and limited functionality.
How to fix low RAM issues
To fix issues caused by low RAM, we can:
- Remove applications consuming more RAM.
- Disable, or freeze less used applications.
- Use performance increasing applications or modifications. Check out our L Speed guide for improving performance, reducing lags and increasing battery life.
- Alternatively, we can extend RAM using SD card. Check out the process below.
How to extend RAM
We can extend RAM in a computer using additional physical hardware. But we cannot extend RAM in an Android mobile using additional physical hardware, because there is no such facility available in it.
Instead, we can make use of SWAP feature of Android mobile and SD card to increase RAM on an Android mobile. SD card will work as a memory expansion. By implementing SWAP, background tasks will never be automatically terminated.
On many devices, there are problems with games that require a lot of memory to run. This tutorial fixes those problems, and by following below instructions you will never get out of memory errors. No more out of memory, no more memory is full problems. You can play high memory usage games in your low-end Android mobile.
Following are the minimum requirements that should be met in order to expand RAM in an Android mobile.
- Class of SD card should be Class 4 or higher. A Class 8 SD card is recommended. Higher the class, greater will be the performance and read write operations.
- Rooted Android mobile.
- RAM expanding app. Links attached below.
Before proceeding, we must check SWAP compatibility with Android mobile or its support for virtual RAM. To do this, follow the instructions below.
- Install MemoryInfo & Swapfile Check app from Play Store.
- Launch the app. You might be asked to grant superuser permissions. Grant it.
- Click on the 3 dots menu present on the top right corner of the screen, and select Swap Directory option.
- Select your external SD card from the options provided.
- Click on START RAMEXPANDER TEST HERE option to start the test.
- After finishing the test, click on Tap for Result option.
- You will be notified with the results of the test. Check whether your mobile is compatible or not.
If your Android mobile supports SWAP functionality then proceed with the following methods.
Increase RAM on Android mobile using SD card
As stated above, RAM can be increased using SWAP feature. SWAP feature turns a small portion of your external SD card into a Virtual RAM. This VRAM can be appended to the actual RAM, thus increasing RAM of your Android mobile.
Increase RAM Using ROEHSOFT RAM Expander (SWAP) (Paid app)
This paid application is developed by ROEHSOFT and is only available at Play Store. As the developer of the app recommends, you must perform compatibility check (scroll above) before buying this app.
- Supports Android 1.6 and higher
- RAM expansion up to 4.0 GB (file system limit)
- No limit on SWAP partition
- Widget for PNP swap (swap on / swap off)
- Detailed Memory Information & Analysis
- Set swappiness kernel parameter
- Install ROEHSOFT RAM Expander (SWAP) app from Play Store.
- Make sure your mobile is connected to internet, and then launch the app. The app will verify purchase license.
- After verification, it will asks for superuser permission. Grant superuser permission.
- Click on the 3-dots menu present on the top right corner of the screen.
- Then click on Select SWAPDIR option, and then select external SD card from the options provided.
- Optional: Again click on 3-dots menu present on the top right corner of the screen and select Delete old Swapfiles. This will delete any old swap files present on your SD card. This is an optional step but it is recommended.
- If you followed step 6, then you should repeat step 4 and step 5 again. If you have not, then you can safely skip this step.
- After selecting SD card, click on the Optimal Value option for automatic addition of optimized values. You can also manually enter values which you think are optimal for your device.
- Manual value suggestions: Increase or decrease SwpPart (Swap Part) by sliding your finger on the slider according to your needs. This is the amount of additional RAM you would want to extend. Increase Swappiness to 60. Leave MinFreeKB to the default value.
- After setting up values, click on the Swap Active icon. This will start creating swapfile on your SD card.
- Depending on your input values, processor and memory card class, it may take upto 15 minutes. So relax and let the app do its work.
- After successfully completing its operation, the app will inform you about the results.
- Now, last step would be to enable Autorun option in the app. Enabling this option will automatically enable swap every time your mobile boots. Enabling Notify Icon option will show notification icon on the top left corner of the screen.
Increase RAM Using Swapper & Tools (Free app)
When you don’t have enough cash for the app, or when you don’t want to spend a few bucks, or if you think the paid app is not worth your hard earned money then you can try this method.
- Supports Android 4.0 and higher
- Root checker
- Activate swap file on boot
- Custom swappiness
- Install Swapper & Tools app from Play Store.
- Launch the app.
- Check Active Swap on Boot option. This option enables swap on every boot.
- Click on Choose Swap Directory button.
- Click on ../, then scroll down and select extSdCard.
- Beside /storage/extSdCard, click on Select button.
- Input required Swap File Size. This is the amount of additional RAM you would want to extend. Default is 200. Recommended is 500.
- Adjust Swappiness. 60 is the default value and should be enough.
- Click on Save.
- You will be asked to grant Superuser permission. Grant it.
- Swapper Activator will create a new swap file in the destination folder and then enables it.
Note: The amount of RAM that you have just created will not be shown in your device’s application manager as it’s a virtual RAM. But it will function similar to your mobile’s internal RAM.
You can verify the swap using Terminal Emulator app.
- Install Terminal Emulator app from Play Store.
- Launch it and type su in command prompt and hit enter.
- Grant superuser permission.
- Type free in command prompt and hit enter.
- You will be able to see how much swap is active in your android mobile. It will also display used and free swap too.
That’s it. You can now play high memory games on your lagging mobile.
Share your suggestions in the comments below. Subscribe to our newsletter for latest post updates directly in your email inbox and YouTube channel for video tutorials.