This guide lists various ways to secure your Facebook account and personal information from unauthorized access, and step by step instructions that needs to be followed in order to recover your hacked Facebook account. We assure you the safety of your Facebook account if you follow this guide.
Today, Facebook is among the top social networking websites. Hence, almost everyone has a Facebook account. Even illiterate are using the Facebook platform to socialize. This maybe because of the fact that majority of the handset manufacturers are shipping their handsets with Facebook application pre-installed.
Secure Your Facebook Account & Recover It When Hacked
The main objective of this guide is to secure your Facebook account. Hence, without any further discussions, lets get into it. Following are the security features every Facebook user must enable in order to increase their account safety and security.
Note: Steps mentioned below are performed using Facebook application on an Android mobile. Initial steps may differ while accessing Facebook.com from a browser.
Most of the users use weak passwords containing names from the family or of loved ones ignoring the consequences. These passwords are easy to crack and also takes very less computing time for the same.
Hence, creating the right and strong password will keep the hackers away. Thus, securing your Facebook account from unauthorized access.
Some Tips For Strong Password
- Password should be unique and memorable. You should be able to remember the password while logging in.
- You should include numbers and if possible special characters in your password.
- Make sure your password is atleast eight characters long.
Additional Care You Should Take
- DO NOT share your password with anyone. Specially the ones you think are not trustworthy.
- If your account on the other sites has been compromised or hacked and if you use the same password on Facebook.com, change your password on Facebook at the earliest.
Follow the steps below in order to change your password.
- Tap on the Menu icon present on the top right corner of the application.
- Scroll down and tap on the Settings & Privacy option and then tap on the Settings option.
- Now, scroll down again and tap on the Security and Login option.
- Again scroll down and tap on the Change Password option.
- Enter your current password on the first input field, NEW password on the second and third input fields.
- Finally, tap on the Save Changes option.
Many of the users don’t know that they can login into their Facebook accounts from various computers and mobile devices at the same time. For each device, Facebook creates a separate session. These sessions are linked to Facebook cookies on the user devices. Hence, users do not require to enter login details everytime Facebook is accessed.
Likewise, a session is always created whenever your Facebook account is accessed by some unauthorized person i.e, a hacker. You must delete such sessions from your Facebook account and change your password immediately to secure your Facebook account.
To see and manage list of sessions, follow the steps below.
- Follow Step-1, Step-2 and Step-3 from the above Change Password instructions.
- Scroll down to Where You’re Logged In section.
- See any suspicious session? Tap on it. Then simply tap on the Not you? option. On the next screen, tap on the Secure Account option. Follow the instructions displayed on the screen one after the other. Facebook will take you to change your password and undo any recent changes done to your account.
- You can also tap on the other unwanted sessions and then select Log Out option. This action will delete unwanted sessions from your Facebook account.
Whenever someone logs into your Facebook account from a new computer or a mobile, then Facebook will notify you about the same. So you can login to your Facebook account and take necessary actions.
Enable Login Alerts
- Follow Step-1, Step-2 and Step-3 from the above Change Password section.
- Scroll down and tap on the Get alerts about unrecognized logins option.
- Now tap on the type of notification. Available notification types: Facebook, Messenger and Email.
- Select Get alerts option and then tap on Save.
Take Action On The Unrecognized Login
Follow the steps below if you receive an unrecognized login notification.
- Tap on the notification link and then tap on This Wasn’t Me option.
- Follow on-screen instructions. Facebook will take you to reset your password and delete any unwanted activity.
Third Party Access To User Personal Information
While using Facebook, people often click on the links they see on their timeline. These links are usually generated by Fancy and Spam applications. After clicking on such links, users allows all permissions the applications asks for without even reading them. In excitement, they forget that their personal information is being made available for the third parties.
Depending on the requirements and permissions allowed, third party applications can access personal information like name, email address, friends list etc.
For some applications, this data helps users to sign-in into their respective platforms. For others, the data becomes a treasure using which they perform all kind of unwanted activities. Activities like posting (anything) on behalf of the user, sharing links (any kind) on behalf of the user, tagging friends etc.
Eventually, resulting in third party applications accessing or taking over user’s Facebook account and posting publicly on his/her behalf.
To secure your Facebook account from such unwanted activities, follow the steps below.
- From Change Password instructions, follow Step-1 and Step-2.
- Scroll down and tap on the Apps and Websites option.
- Again scroll down and tap on the Old versions of Facebook for mobile option.
- Now tap on the See All option and then select Only me option.
- Again under Apps and Websites option, tap on the Logged in with Facebook option.
- Under Active tab, select applications and websites that you no longer use or does not trust anymore.
- After selecting, tap on the Remove option. To confirm the action, tap on the Remove option again on the next screen. This action will remove the ability of the application/website to make additional requests for your private information.
- Finally, tap on the Done option.
This feature will help you in situations like Facebook account getting hacked or unable to login due to lockout.
You have to choose three to five friends whom you trust the most. You can take help from these friends whenever your account is compromised or locked out.
Facebook will give a special piece of security code to each of your selected friends. You can then contact them and get those special piece of security codes. Using these codes, you will be able to login into your Facebook account.
Note: Be assured that your friends won’t be able to use these codes in any way.
Select Trusted Contacts
- From the above Change Password instructions, follow Step-1, Step-2 and Step-3.
- Scroll down and tap on the Choose 3 to 5 friends to contact option. Enter your password and then tap on Continue.
- Now tap on the Choose trusted contacts option.
- Search and select 3 to 5 friends whom you trust the most.
- After selecting your friends, tap on the Done option.
Recover Account Using Trusted Contacts
- Visit Facebook.com on a computer.
- Click on the Forgot account? link.
- Enter your phone number or email address and then click on the Search option.
- If you don’t have access to any of the listed email accounts, then click on the No longer have access to these? link. Then enter a new email address or phone number and then click on Continue.
- Now click on the Reveal My Trusted Contacts option and type the full name of one of your trusted contacts (remember you selected 3 to 5 trusted contacts?).
- Copy the link given (included in the instructions) and send it to your trusted contact(s). This link can only be accessed by your trusted contacts.
- Ask them to open the link. After opening the link, they will get a security code. Ask them to share this code with you.
- Access your Facebook account using this security code. After accessing, delete all sessions and then change your account password. Check instructions above.
This is the most commonly used method using which an attacker tries to get our login details. A fake website that looks like Facebook is created and shared on the Internet. Whenever someone visits that fake website, they ask you to login. Thus stealing your username, password and other personal information.
Hence, access Facebook using Facebook.com or official mobile applications.
Facebook Account Hacked
Hacking means taking over someone’s account. If you think that someone has hacked your Facebook account (accessed without your knowledge or permission) then you should follow the steps below to recover it.
- Tap on the Need Help? option on the login screen.
- Then tap on the Help Center link.
- Now you need to tap on the Privacy and Safety option.
- Then tap on the Hacked and Fake Accounts option.
- Now select I think my account is hacked or someone is using it without permission.
- Click on the link displayed in the article/post. Follow on-screen instructions. Facebook will help you to reset your account password and also take action on recent account changes.
Hope this guide has helped someone. Subscribe to our newsletter for latest post updates directly in your email inbox and YouTube channel for tech video tutorials.